Sunday, February 13, 2005

Nature Morte

Another week has flown, or rather drifted by.... Mostly outside my window, where it's been raining steadily, sometimes heavily, since Thursday. I love the soft, gray hues, the tender weeping sky full of shifting shapes. I appreciate the sizzling sound of raindrops splattering in puddles along the sidewalk, against the stucco walls of my apartment, simmering like a slowly boiling crock of homemade soup as the moisture drifts in tiny pearl-shaped orbs through the tree leaves outside my home.

The Read & Critique course continues to sail along nicely. It's great to experience the dedication and talent of each writer in the class. It's a pretty cordial group as well, so no one appears too intimidated to speak his or her mind. The group seemed to enjoy my little work, and I was really happy they all wanted to keep turning the pages to find out what would happen next. Of course, they and Judy wanted to see more depth in the world I am creating. But as it will probably be a novel, I am looking at this first "crappy draft" as more of an extended outline. It was amusing that several people obsessed on Roland's missing horse; I guess I will have to clear up that mystery soon enough! Perhaps the heroes dismembered and ate the horse out of the ravages of starvation-- nah.

I have begun putting together character sketches for the presumed novel. This has helped flesh out the story and the people in it. I will continue working on that this week.

Tomorrow my friends Katie and Jacque will come for a visit around 12:30. It will be fun to catch up with everyone's news. And the new dog of Jacque's.... Can't forget the dog! Hehehe

Meanwhile I continue to get stronger, la vita continua...

No comments: