Friday, February 04, 2005

The Unbelievable Heaviness of Being

Today Sharon came back over and we practiced transfers again. I definitely can feel some strength and tone returning to my legs--especially the left one. There was concern because my right foot hurts when I sit down, as it dives into the carpet toe-first and just bends at the ankle. Ouch!

But at least tonight I get to sleep in my own bed. Yay!

Today the state inspector, Jaime, took a look at my van. He gave it a passing grade, except that the front tires need rotation (hmm... they are brand new, and have only been driven to and from the grocery store and shop since the accident), and the air conditioning doesn't cool very fast. The inspector's approval should mean a green light to getting new tie-down straps installed ($500). Then I can get out of the house more.

The read and critique class is going well. If nothing else, just reading other people's work keeps me in the flow of writing too. When you see some good or bad point in someone else's work, you immediately begin to think about how that same point applies to you. There is a lot of reading: about 100 pages a week. And it's not just passive reading; it's real "hard work"--as George II says.

Speaking of Bush, I couldn't bear to listen to the idiot's State of the Union Address, or his inaugural. The country is moving backwards socially and politically. It's time for the blue states to opt out of this most imperfect union, and take our tax dollars with us! How much of that $300 billion that Bush blew in Iraq came from California? Quite a lot, I guess.

Last week I watched that Cole Porter bio-flick on DVD. It's called "De Lovely," I think. Should have been called "Queer Ear for the Gay Composer." Sheesh! "Enough already with the gay!" as Dr. Zoidberg might say.... I am open-minded and tolerant, but I don't need to see two guys kissing to get the point.

Tonight I hope to watch "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow." And have dinner with my parents, which makes for a pleasant evening.

No comments: