Saturday, June 18, 2005

L'aventure quotidienne

Today I took a trip over to Barnes & Noble in Mira Mesa with Joe. We arrived about 1:30 and had coffee at the Starbucks inside while Joe perused a Chilton's repair manual for the Ford Taurus. I ate a turkey wrap, which was quite good, drank a latte and enjoyed the time out.

Last night my parents came over and we watched the new DVD release, "Beyond the Sea," which is Kevins Spacey's bio pic of Bobby Darin. Kevin did a great job--he is an actor who can really sing! He also directed the film, as well as starred in it. The movie was a very touching tribute to the late singer, who died of a heart condition in 1973 at the age of 37. Usually those singers of "standards" make me queasy. Something about those violin-laden refrains, the perfectly timed trombones, etc. But Darin went beyond the stereotype. He had an indefinable edge, a heartfelt reality, that transcended the lounge music medium.

The weather today was beautiful. Low 70s, sunny with just a hint of clouds. I love June in San Diego! Last year I could only view it from a hospital window, which made this year even sweeter.

On Thursday I went and saw Dr. Landers at Sharp Memorial. He was pleased with my improvement and promised to speak to an endocrinologist about some kind of treatment that could make my bones denser. As usual, I am unconvinced that any therapy they could offer would be worth the cost, risk and potentential side effects. But, it's worth investigating!

My van is running well; Harold got the steering wheel on straight finally (the nimrods at the body shop had attached it one bolt off-center). The vehicle is filthy on the outside. I want to call my detailer, Clint and get him to scrub off the grime. It hasn't been cleaned since the body shop got done with it, and we had a hell of a winter this year (over 23 inches of rain during the El Nino).

Tomorrow is Father's Day! Go forth and celebrate with your family!

David

No comments: