Monday, October 02, 2006

Giving the Devil

Giving the Devil...

I watched "Mystic River" with my parents last Friday evening. I had seen it while in the hospital, but couldn't make much sense of it in my morphine-besotted brain. This time, I enjoyed the film, although it was very dark. Clint Eastwood is an excellent director, but his movies are almost Biblical in their outlook. For example, at the start of "Mystic River," a character mentions that the Sean Penn character's "sins have come home to roost." As in the Old Testament, "the sins of the father are visited upon the children."

Meanwhile, I had a quiet Fall weekend and am enjoying the cooler weather. Good riddance to summer! The Chargers lost a close game, which was a serious bummer.

Other than that, have you ever wondered about why some people can act so fake and phony? I have this one friend who seems to have the most tenuous relationship with the truth. And she makes her lies sound so sweet and innocent, you're almost bound to believe her (at first). After a long and hard summer of listening to lies, I've decided that no one can be a friend who is not true to both themselves and others. This woman is a veritable library of dissembling. It's sad, really, because this person has a lot of promise that she'll never fulfill. So many people are hell-bent for self destruction. Aha--that's almost Biblical, too!

No comments: