Friday, August 24, 2007

Laura and the Bunnymen

Laura and the Bunnymen

Last weekend I rushed to my local Best Buy and purchased David Lynch's new masterpiece, "Inland Empire." The film comes on a 2-DVD set. The first DVD holds the film, and the second is packed with extra footage and some rambling narratives by Lynch.

I can't praise this film enough. A lot of viewers, minds dulled by Hollywood pablum, try to figure out what the film is "about." But it is about many things: can the universe be about something? I prefer the Italian title of the movie: "Empire of the Mind." For the inner universe converges upon the outer one, and eventually you have to ask yourself, "If today was tomorrow, would I remember it?"

Lynch combines Dada and Surrealism into a seamless garment of videotape. He is Dali; he is Escher; he is Magritte.

"Ceci n'est pas une pipe." This is not a pipe--"The Treason of Images."

No comments: