Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Response to Michael Moore’s Bulletin on Detroit's Failing Auto Industry

On the other hand, I drive a 92 Chevy G10 (full-sized) van and it never breaks down nor needs anything other than regular maintanance. At the time I bought the van, it was one of the few that could handle a power wheelchair and an electric lift.

It's true that the van doesn't get more than 18 mpg with its small block V8, but hey, it's a truck. Am I supposed to haul my disability stuff around in a glorified vegetable cart?

My family used to own Nissans (aka, Datsuns) and they were finicky and expensive to repair. Since the late 80s, my parents have owned Saturns and Chevys, with nary a problem. My parents' two Malibu Maxes get 33 mpg, look great, and don't break down at all.

A friend of mine who works in construction owns a Ford F150--de rigeur equipment for working, middle-class folks in his field. Why should he buy and equally gas-guzzling Nissan Titan or Armada for more money? If anyone has been paying attention, they'd notice the Japanese and Koreans have been falling all over themselves for the past decades to turn out monster SUVs, and they've been selling them to Americans dumb enough to not pay attention to what the Japanese and Koreans actually buy in their own countries.

Besides, aren't the European and Japanese car makers also requesting help from their governments? Don't many of them already receive subsidies? And hasn't Japan been in a recession since the 90s?

This isn't to say that I disagree with the notion of buying the Big 3 and replacing their management. And as a train/mass transit user, I love the idea of putting Detroit to work rebuilding the infrastructure they helped destroy. What I am saying is that not all the blame can be placed on Detroit's "crappy cars." That seems to be part of the public mythology these days, but we can't bet our future on myth-based decision-making. George W. Bush tried that, and look where it got us.

Maybe you shouldn't have bought a Chrysler, Mike, and I say that with all due respect. I'll keep putting gas in my 92 Chevy for years to come.

No comments: