Wednesday, August 26, 2009

My Annual Fight with Medi-Cal

I just got a "Notice of Action" from Medi-Cal yesterday that they will discontinue my benefits on August 31. Of course, I immediately filed an appeal and mailed it off. Many recipients may not be aware (the information is in small, unreadable print on the back of the denial letter), but you can protect your benefits indefinitely by filing an appeal within 90 days of the Notice of Action.

In the notice, they claim I did not return my annual redetermination forms. However, I never received the redetermination forms this year. Their claim is bogus. I have dwelled in my apartment for 17 years, and I would have immediately filled out the forms, had I seen them in my mail.

I am frankly sick and tired of the state discontinuing my Medi-Cal every single year! How many times have I had to file appeals? Last summer I got the cut-off notice as I was lying in my hospital bed recovering from major surgery. The added stress did not help my healing process, obviously. That year, I had mailed in the redetermination forms on time, with a registered mail receipt from the agency, yet they still tried to discontinue my healthcare. The year before that, they tried to discontinue my coverage due to not having received my forms, even though the forms had been languishing on my social worker's desk for six weeks while he took a family vacation to his homeland in Egypt.

I’m beginning to think the state is singling out the “working disabled” like me for extra attention, in an attempt to hassle them off the Medi-Cal enrollment. I have asked Aleyda Toruno, my attorney at California Disability Rights, if she's ever heard of a client with as many erroneous discontinuations as I have experienced. My rough guess is, she hasn't encountered a client as persecuted as I have been.

Furthermore, I believe that these annual threats to discontinue my healthcare constitute a violation of my civil rights. When the state threatens to cut off the coverage of a person on life support, that is the equivalent of a death threat. A stranger would be arrested for showing up at my door and attempting to unplug my ventilator. By what right can the state claim to do the same thing?

Why is it only the crazed, right-wingnuts who yell and scream about their government? We, the disability community, are too docile. Our representative democracy has degenerated into mob-rule (the very thing feared by Hobbes, in "Leviathan.") The oppressed need to get out their pitchforks and torches too.

No comments: