Sunday, March 27, 2005

Happy Easter!

Today was a bright, sunny, warm Easter Sunday. The sky was azure and the horizon limited only by the cerulean shadows of the mountains to the east of the city. I wanted to attend services with my parents at Saint Gregory's today, but could not make the arrangements through MTS Access. Even though the church is a 10-minute drive away (in Scripps Ranch), MTS requires a commitment of two hours each way. This is because they perform a transfer to North County Transit in order to reach Scripps Ranch. This happens even though Scripps is a neighborhood within the city of San Diego. At the minimum, I would have been gone from my home five-seven hours in order to attend a one-hour mass. That was more trip time than I could stomach, I'm afraid.

My last writing class went well. We had a nice turnout of about 8 people on a cold and rainy night. There were four stories to read, and mine was one of them. A lot of people seemed to like it the best of all that I had submitted. One student asked me if there was "anything [I] don't write." "Not really," I replied, "I write all over the place." Then a bit later I made an offhand comment about how I had written the story one Sunday afternoon, which prompted Judy to say "You told me you are a fast typist, but typing is not the same as writing." Then I answered, "Well, for me it kind of is..." Then she said, jokingly (I hope), "Now everyone in the class hates you!" I guess it seemed to her that I was bragging. But for me it's like Mohammad Ali once said, "if you can do it, it ain't braggin'."

I got a lead from Aleyda Turuno of PAI about the Medicare problem. She gave me the number of another agency, HICAP. We'll see what they have to say tomorrow.

Last night I tried doing the chair-to-bed transfer with Minda. It started out well. When she picked me up, it felt just like it used to. But as we pivoted, I started losing altitude and she had to put me back in the chair. Luckily Harold was present to bail us out. Tomorrow morning I will try bed-to-chair with Minda and we will see if that goes any better.

I'm off to watch the season finale of Carnivale. I will write more tomorrow!

-- David

No comments: