Sunday, March 20, 2005

News of the Week

This week continued the activities and aggravations of the past month.

First, on Tuesday I attended the penultimate Read & Critique session. I got to read my "extra" story, "Ghostwalkers," for the class. Coming into this session, I thought that most people would have a problem with the non-linear plot. "Eh, what did happen and who dunnit?" But perhaps this class is savvy enough to "get it" without a lot of extra explanation. Still, valid points were made about believability issues and characterization. I will have fun putting the rest of the story together and trying to gain some editor's attention with it.

This week I will present a new story to the group. It's an SF/Horror crossover with a touch of satire. Satire is supposed to come from a Latin word meaning "mixed" and indeed this is a mixed work. But I think it's funny, and humor is a great reading companion.

I called everybody and their brother about the Medicare/Medi-Cal issues and still got nowhere. I finally called Aleyta at Protection and Advocacy and hope to hear from her on Wednesday. I need a better idea of what my rights are and what the available programs are; the state workers don't know or don't want to know. I am also dealing with DoR (Department of Rehabilitation) regarding my van. The state inspector wants an estimate of AC repair before any work can be done on the tiedowns. But AC estimates are not free! I called City Chevrolet and A&D Auto Electric (recommended by Jaime, the state auto inspector) and both companies want to charge $100-200. This is because they must first fill the system with Freon and pressure-test it. That involves labor and material costs. The Rehab counselor doesn't understand this and refuses to commit to paying for the estimate. So we are back at square one again.

On a positive note, I am doing all pivot transfers this week and I plan to disembarrass myself of the hospital bed and Hoyer lift by the end of the month! Yes, I am almost back!

No comments: