Tuesday, May 03, 2005

News for the New Month

April, the cruelest month, with its sweet showers has passed into history.

My step-grandfather, whom we called "Pepere" also passed away last Thursday. He was in his late 80s and had lived a full life. Those comments never really satisfy, when engaging a panoply of someone's life. I remember him as a hard-working man who was deeply religious and cared for his family very much. When he and "Memere" lived up in Hawthorne, we used to drive up there (when I was a teenager) and spend the night. We enjoyed many hours playing cards--Euchre, Hearts, Spades, Blackjack. There were dice games too.

I was always struck by his French Canadian sense of humor, the folk songs played on the harmonica. Memere and Pepere had a very warm household, where family was always welcome. Lots of relatives would visit during the holidays. When they retired and moved to 29 Palms, their lives didn't slow down all that much. They owned a nice little three-bedroom home and the vacant lot next to it on Persia Avenue. The landscape was dry and dessicated. I could never quite figure out what former Vermonters saw in that desolation, but they fit right in with the people there and, I am certain, enjoyed the perpetually sunny weather.

For quite a while, they took care of their old French Canadian neighbor, Mr. Meunier. Mr. Meunier was pretty much an invalid and they helped him with eating and chores. Their acts of kindness no doubt kept that neighbor alive longer than he would have survived otherwise.

The funeral will be Wednesday. If you read this, please keep Roland Marcoux in your prayers.

I did get some good news today. The state finally got off its keister and approved the work on my van. This week I will get the AC inspected and see if I can get the tiedowns installed. As Mel Gibson once shouted.... "FREEEEEEEDOMMMMMMMM!!!!"

No comments: