Thursday, June 30, 2005

Holy Coma, Batman!

Last night I attended the first Document Design class at UCSD. One down, five more to go! I got there late, since Clarence didn't show up to drive me until almost 6, and the class starts at 6:30. If this keeps up, I am petitioning my Rehab counselor for a driver/personal assistant.

The class itself is full to the gills. Not an inch to spare, body to body in little rows of desks. I am hoping to learn from the course, what makes a compelling, attractive document. Last night was mostly about theory, which might be summed up as, "what is document design and why is it important?" The instructor seems like a knowledgable, decent guy. The tiny slides he kept pointing to were not highly visible from the back of the class, unfortunately.

I didn't really achieve the feeling I was amongst a collegial group of writers. For one thing, when I returned from our 10-minute break, only two people besides me brought coffee back with them! The rest had their bland little bottles of water poised neatly by their books. No coffee, no writer! Sayeth my hero, Honoré de Balzac!

No comments: